A 25-year-old patient was admitted with a complete C7 transection of the spinal cord injury. What must the nurse include in the care plan of this patient during the immediate post-injury period?
• The possible need for ventilatory support must be included in the care plan since edema above the area of the lesion can cause respiratory depression or arrest
• Spinal cord injuries commonly occur among young adult males between 15 and 25 years old due to motor vehicular accidents, diving in shallow
• Quadriplegia that causes paralysis of all four extremities can occur in cervical injuries involving C1-C8, and respiratory paralysis in lesions above C6
• Incorrect: Bladder and bowel training usually takes place when the patient is in the rehabilitation phase and not the immediate post-injury period
• Incorrect: Autonomic
• Incorrect: A patient with C7 injury does not need a diaphragmatic pacer