A newly admitted patient has sustained deep partial-thickness burns to the face and trunk. Which of the following abnormal values can the nurse expect during the emergent phase?
• Due to the fluid shift after a burn injury, the blood becomes concentrated and the hematocrit will be elevated.
• Heart rate will increase (not decrease) due to hypovolemia associated with fluid shift (third spacing).
• Potassium levels will increase along with cellular destruction.
• Hemoglobin levels will be decreased due to the hemolysis of red blood cells.
• Lactic acid level will increase due to impaired tissue perfusion, not decrease.