A nurse is caring for an adult patient with myasthenia gravis. Which of the following nursing diagnosis is a priority?
• Extreme muscle weakness that increases with activity and decreases with
• Primary attention is given to airway clearance since a person with myasthenia gravis can develop respiratory muscle failure.
• Incorrect: Ineffective coping may occur, but this is not the priority diagnosis over airway clearance.
• Incorrect: Risk for injury in patients with myasthenia gravis is significant, but ineffective airway clearance takes higher importance (A-B-C!).
• Incorrect: Pain is not usually a major problem in patients with myasthenia gravis.