A patient taking a bisphosphonate for osteoporosis is receiving education about medication administration. Which of the following should the nurse include in the instructions?
• The patient should take bisphosphonates with a full glass of water and on an empty stomach in the morning to increase absorption.
• It is important for the patient to receive adequate intake of calcium and vitamin D to promote bone formation.
• Vitamin K intake is not associated with osteoporosis or bisphosphonates.
• Antacids may reduce absorption; therefore, they should be avoided.
• Patients should sit or stand, not lie down, for thirty minutes after administration to avoid ulcers of the esophagus from developing. Alendronate should not be given to individuals unable to sit upright after taking it for at least 30 minutes.