The nurse is assessing a neonatal boy. Upon assessment, the nurse notes that the urethral opening is at the lower aspect of the penis. Based on these findings, the nurse is correct to suspect which of the following disorders?
• Hypospadias refers to the condition in which the urethral opening is located below the glans penis or anywhere along the ventral surface of the penile shaft (Hypo- means "below").
• Hypospadias is generally corrected with surgery.
• Cryptorchidism is undescended testes in newborns. They generally descend by the first year of life.
• Epispadias refers to the condition in which the urethral opening is located on the dorsal or superior surface of the penis (Epi- means "above").
• Hypospadias with chordee is having a fibrous band that causes the penis to curve downward, often called a cobra-head appearance.