The nurse is assessing a newborn's reflexes. Which of the following best describes the Babinski reflex?
• The Babinski reflex is characterized by dorsiflexion of the great toe and fanning of the other toes when the sole of the foot is stimulated. This reflex normally disappears after 24 months.
• In adults, the normal plantar reflex causes plantar flexion of the great toe.
• When the Babinski reflex is present in adults and in children over the age of 24 months, it may indicate damage to the pyramidal tracts.
• Incorrect: Flexion of the forearm describes the biceps reflex.
• Incorrect: Extension of the leg describes the patellar reflex.
• Incorrect: Tremor of the foot occurs with ankle clonus.