The nurse is caring for a client with type 1 diabetes suffering from nausea and vomiting. Which of the following interventions should the nurse perform?
• For patients with type 1 diabetes, acute illness complicates diabetes management because of its varying effects upon insulin requirements
• Blood glucose should be monitored very closely
• Urine should be monitored for ketones as there is a greater risk of Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) due to inadequate insulin supplementation
• Water and fluids containing both carbohydrates and electrolytes should be encouraged
• Insulin should never be stopped. The patient should be aware that insulin requirements can fluctuate, rising due to an increase in counter-regulatory hormones released in response to stress, and decreasing due to reduced oral intake of carbohydrates because of decreased appetite, nausea, or vomiting