The nurse is caring for a dehydrated client with impaired oral mucous membrane related to lack of oral intake and vomiting. What nursing interventions should be included on the care plan to relieve symptoms?
• The oral cavity should be monitored for discoloration, lesions, edema, bleeding, exudate, or dryness
• Salt water rinses promote the cleansing effect of saliva
• Apply lip moisturizer or petroleum jelly to prevent lips from cracking or becoming parched
• Provide oral care using a soft pediatric toothbrush every 2-to-4 hours to improve the condition of the mucous membranes
• Lemon glycerin sticks have been shown to further dry out the oral mucosa and erode the tooth enamel and should be avoided
• Avoid mouthwashes with an alcohol base, which can dry the mucous membranes