The nurse is caring for a patient with AIDS. The nurse should implement neutropenic precautions when the patient's neutrophil count is
• Neutropenia refers to a reduction in the blood neutrophil count to < 1,000/mm³.
• A neutrophil count of less than 500/mm³ indicates a severe risk of infection.
• Restricting fresh, uncooked fruits and vegetables from the diet and removing flowers and plants from the room is recommended due to the risk of microbial contamination.
• Visitors with any potentially communicable disease should be screened for the presence of infection and must not be allowed near the patient.
• The client should have a single room with positive air pressure (air pressure higher than the surrounding rooms) to prevent potentially contaminated air from entering the client's room.