The nurse is educating a patient with myocarditis. The nurse explains to the patient that myocarditis affects the
• Myocarditis is inflammation of the myocardium (the muscle of the heart).
• Myocarditis is most often caused by viral infections but may also be caused by an autoimmune reaction to drugs or pathogens.
• Incorrect: Pericarditis is inflammation of the outermost layer of the heart.
• Incorrect: Endocarditis is inflammation of the innermost layer of the heart.
• Incorrect: Valvular disease affects the heart valves.