The nurse is providing medical information to an adult patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). The patient understands the nature of the disease if he or she asks which of the following questions?
• Asking about advance directives and planning for execution of a living will
• In ALS, there is
• Patients who have ALS most likely will experience respiratory failure as the disease progresses, and they need to communicate their wishes regarding ventilator support. It is the nurse's responsibility to explore the patient's wishes and facilitate discussion within the family.
• Incorrect: There is no way to halt
• Incorrect: It is not considered a communicable disease.
• Incorrect: ALS does not respond to chemotherapy.