Which of the following is true of dehydration?
• Dehydration refers to an extracellular fluid volume deficit
• Dehydration is a common and serious fluid imbalance that leads to hypovolemia
• Mild fluid loss is characterized with a loss of 1 to 2L of water or 2% of body weight
• Fluid loss of 3-to-5 L of water or 5% of body weight is considered moderate dehydration
• The thirst mechanism is usually triggered by low blood pressure or fluid volume depletion as small as 0.5%
• Impaired thirst mechanism can also decrease fluid intake
• Excessive fluid output without a balancing input can lead to dehydration
• Dehydration can lead to low tissue perfusion - which is why you may note "skin tenting"