The Next Generation NCLEX-RN study guide: How to master the NCLEX-RN exam?
The Next Generation NCLEX-RN (NGN) is a new licensure examination for nursing graduates that aims to test higher-order thinking skills, clinical judgment, and real-world scenarios. With its implementation, nursing graduates must adapt to new question types, including audio and graphics, to better reflect real-world nursing scenarios.
To help nursing graduates prepare for the NGN exam, this Next Generation NCLEX-RN study guide provides a detailed overview of each NGN category, skills, and tips to increase their chances of success on the NGN exam and become competent, skilled, and effective nurses in the healthcare field.
1. Overview of THE Next Generation NCLEX-RN
The Next Generation NCLEX-RN (NGN) is an innovative licensing examination that is designed to assess the competency and readiness of nursing graduates to practice safely and effectively in the rapidly evolving healthcare landscape. The NGN replaces the traditional NCLEX-RN examination, which has been in use for over three decades. The NGN is built on the same principles and format as the conventional NCLEX-RN, but it incorporates new question types, such as audio and graphics, and focuses on higher-order thinking skills, such as clinical judgment, decision-making, and critical thinking. You can read the NCLEX change format to get more information.
The NGN is based on the National Council of State Boards of Nursing’s (NCSBN) Nursing Practice Framework, which defines the nursing process and the competencies required for safe and effective nursing practice. The NGN assesses four categories of client needs:
- Safe and Effective Care Environment
- Health Promotion and Maintenance
- Psychosocial Integrity
- Physiological Integrity
The NGN is expected to be more reliable and valid in assessing the nursing competency of candidates and will help nursing schools to improve their curricula to better prepare graduates for practice.
2. Detailed studies guide on each of the next generation NCLEX-RN category
2.1. Safe and Effective Care Environment
Safe and Effective Care Environment is one of the four categories assessed in the NGN exam. This category is designed to assess the nurse’s ability to provide care that is safe, effective, and patient-centered. The category includes two subcategories: Management of Care and Safety and Infection Control.
- Management of Care: This subcategory evaluates the nurse’s ability to manage care delivery in a variety of settings. It includes topics such as delegation and supervision, healthcare delivery systems, advocacy, ethical and legal issues, and interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Safety and Infection Control: This subcategory evaluates the nurse’s ability to provide a safe and infection-free environment for patients and healthcare workers. It includes topics such as safety procedures, risk management, emergency preparedness, and infection prevention and control.
2.2. Health Promotion and Maintenance
Health Promotion and Maintenance is another category assessed in the NGN exam. This category assesses the nurse’s ability to promote and maintain the health and wellness of patients across the lifespan. The category includes topics such as health promotion and disease prevention, health screening, and health maintenance.
2.3. Psychosocial Integrity
Psychosocial Integrity is a category that assesses the nurse’s ability to care for patients’ psychosocial needs. This category includes topics such as communication and therapeutic relationships, cultural diversity, spirituality, grief and loss, coping mechanisms, and behavioral interventions.
2.4. Physiological Integrity
Physiological Integrity is a category that assesses the nurse’s ability to care for a patient’s physiological needs. This category includes four subcategories: Basic Care and Comfort, Pharmacological and Parenteral Therapies, Reduction of Risk Potential, and Physiological Adaptation.
- Basic Care and Comfort: This subcategory evaluates the nurse’s ability to provide comfort measures and assist patients with activities of daily living. It includes topics such as hygiene, nutrition, elimination, mobility, and positioning.
- Pharmacological and Parenteral Therapies: This subcategory evaluates the nurse’s ability to administer medications and parenteral therapies safely and effectively. It includes topics such as pharmacology, medication administration, dosage calculations, and adverse reactions.
- Reduction of Risk Potential: This subcategory evaluates the nurse’s ability to identify and reduce the risk of complications and adverse events. It includes topics such as patient safety, vital signs, monitoring, and assessment.
- Physiological Adaptation: This subcategory evaluates the nurse’s ability to care for patients with complex physiological needs. It includes topics such as pathophysiology, advanced monitoring, and intervention, and management of acute and chronic illness.
3. Helpful the next generation NCLEX-RN tips
Preparing for the Next Gen NCLEX-RN exam can be challenging, but with the right strategies, you can improve your chances of success. Here are some helpful tips to prepare for the Next Gen NCLEX-RN exam:
3.1. Review Case Studies Carefully
The Next Gen NCLEX-RN exam will include case studies that require you to apply your critical thinking skills and clinical judgment to real-world scenarios. It’s essential to review case studies carefully and understand the client’s history, symptoms, and risk factors. Practice analyzing the case studies to develop your critical thinking skills.
3.2. Organize and Prepare as Soon as Possible
The Next Gen NCLEX-RN exam requires a lot of preparation and studying, and it’s essential to start as soon as possible. Create a study schedule that allows you to study in manageable increments over a more extended period. Use study materials covering all the NGN exam categories and topics, and review them multiple times.
3.3 Build up Your Critical Thinking
The Next Gen NCLEX-RN exam focuses on higher-order thinking skills, such as clinical judgment and decision-making. Building up your critical thinking skills is key to performing well on the exam. Practice critical thinking exercises, including analyzing case studies, practicing prioritization, and reviewing patient scenarios. Why not put your first step on taking the NCLEX-RN practice test to prepare for your next step perfectly?
3.4 Create a Suitable Study Plan
Creating a study plan that is personalized to your learning style and schedule is critical for success on the NGN exam. Use study resources that cater to your strengths and weaknesses and track your progress through practice tests and self-assessments. Include breaks and rest in your study plan to avoid burnout.
3.5 Don’t Forget to Rest
While it’s essential to study and prepare for the Next Gen NCLEX-RN exam, it’s equally crucial to rest and take care of your physical and mental health. Getting enough sleep, eating healthy, and exercising can improve your focus and retention of information. Take breaks during your study sessions to recharge your batteries and avoid nurse burnout.
4. What are Some Frequently Asked Questions about Next Gen NCLEX-RN?
Q: When will the Next Gen NCLEX-RN be implemented?
A: The Next Gen NCLEX-RN is expected to be implemented in the United States in 2023, pending regulatory approval.
Q: Will the Next Gen NCLEX-RN be more difficult than the traditional NCLEX-RN exam?
A: The Next Gen NCLEX-RN will be different from the traditional NCLEX-RN exam, but it’s not necessarily more difficult. The NGN exam will focus on higher-order thinking skills and clinical judgment, so it may require a different type of preparation.
Q: Will the Next Gen NCLEX-RN be longer than the traditional NCLEX-RN exam?
A: The Next Gen NCLEX-RN will have the same number of questions as the traditional NCLEX-RN exam, but it may take longer to complete due to the inclusion of new question types, such as audio and graphics.
Q: Can I use traditional NCLEX-RN study materials to prepare for the Next Gen NCLEX-RN exam?
A: While the traditional NCLEX-RN study materials can provide a foundation for preparing for the NGN exam, it’s important to use study materials that are specifically designed for the NGN exam. These materials will cover the new question types and higher-order thinking skills required for success on the NGN exam.
In conclusion, the Next Gen NCLEX-RN exam represents a significant change in the nursing licensure examination process. Nursing graduates preparing for the exam should take advantage of the available study materials, review case studies carefully, build up their critical thinking skills, create a suitable study plan, and care for their physical and mental health. By doing so, they can increase their chances of success on the exam and ultimately become competent, skilled, and effective nurses in the healthcare field. Don’t forget to do the NCLEX practice questions to master your score!