A hearing impaired patient was admitted to the hospital. Which of the following is the best way for the nurse to communicate effectively?
• Hearing impairment may include the sensorineural (nerve-related) type, conductive type (which affects the outer or middle ear), or a mixed-type hearing loss
• The best way to communicate effectively with the hearing impaired person is to face him/her and speak clearly so that they may benefit from
• Incorrect: It is best to talk into the nonimpaired ear
• Incorrect: Shouting is not effective for people with sensorineural damage
• Incorrect: The first-line intervention is to speak directly and clearly. If the person still does not understand, written communication can be another option