A patient is admitted to the hospital due to a myocardial infarction. Which of the following interventions or devices would increase coronary perfusion and decrease cardiac workload?
• An intra-aortic balloon pump inflates during diastole to increase perfusion to the coronary arteries and organs and deflates during systole to decrease afterload
• The timed inflation and deflation contribute to increased myocardial oxygen supply while decreasing myocardial oxygen demand
• Incorrect: Pacemakers do not increase coronary perfusion or decrease workload
• Incorrect: Dobutamine will increase cardiac workload by increasing contractility and cardiac output
• Incorrect: Therapeutic hypothermia will decrease oxygen demands, but will not improve coronary perfusion