After several days in traction, the patient has a long leg fiberglass cast applied to his left leg. Before the patient is discharged, the nurse should instruct the patient on which of the following?
• Discharge teaching for a patient going home with a cast requires detailed instruction regarding cast care. It is important to instruct the patient to keep his cast dry. Cover with a plastic bag to shower. No swimming is allowed.
• Keeping the cast intact and dry are important for the integrity of the cast and healing of the fracture.
• Remind children that autographs are not allowed on this type of cast because fiberglass is a porous material.
• Be certain that the child knows not to put anything inside the cast. If itching occurs inside the cast, blowing some cool air into it from a hair dryer can be comforting.
• Damage to the cast should be reported, not repaired with tape.